Friday, May 18, 2012

Back To Work!

It's been a long while since I posted on my site, and now it is TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK.
Don't mind me, I'm just yelling at myself for being away for so long.

May has brought sunshine, lot's of leaves, a few flowers and now cold nights (around 4 C) to the
 Back 40. The perennials are perking up, but slowly.
This is another cold Spring, but also a dry one.


A few of the regulars are madly going to town: the Dicentra, the ferns, and of course, the
Lamium. About 10 days ago, I went out to push it back a bit, and discovered that not only had
it moved right into my Hedgerow, it has sneaked across the dry creek.
Along the lot line, those tough little plants were almost knee high, and they're climbing the
back of my neighbour's garden shed.
I spent 2 afternoons tearing out lamium from amongst the hedgerow shrubs (two giant bags full)
and realized that I hardly made a dent in it. This is going to be a real war!
Coquitlam has banned the use of "ornamental herbicides" in our home gardens.
Perhaps I need a goat.



No comments:

Post a Comment